Snippets of old news taken from the Orwell Bulletin

By Derek Skipper

July 1813-- At the quarter sessions for this County on Friday last, James Miller was sentenced to be transported for seven years for stealing a pig from out of a yard in the parish of Orwell.

August 1883—Parish Church—Reopening of the Chancel. We observe that the afternoon service on Thursday August 30th will commence at 3 o'clock, not 3.30 as before announced. The Rector and churchwards hope to find seats in the chancel for all clergy. They would, therefore, be much obliged if those of the clergy who propose to be present and have not yet signified their intention would kindly do so at their earliest convenience.

August 1933 — The principal business before the Caxton Rural District Council was the appointment of a new chairman and the question of the shortage of water in many of the villages. On the motion of Sir Charles Stanley, seconded by Mr A. J. Hodson, Mr H. G. Peters was elected Chairman. Mr Peters has been a member of the Council a great many years and has always taken a great interest in the work. He was also a member of the old Board of Guardians and its Chairman for some years until that body ceased to exist in 1930.

June 1963 — At the annual Parish Council meeting Mr H. G. Peters was re—elected chairman and Mr A. Howard vice—chairman. Matters dealt with included the two additional roadside seats, snow clearance preparations for the coming winter and the closing of the Nag’s Head public house. It was agreed to write to the brewers for further information regarding improvements to the one and only pub left open in the village. Mr A. H. Miller asked about any interest the Parish Council might have in the Council School , should it be closed in the near future, for probable use as a doctor’s surgery or some other amenity. It was agreed to look into this. The posts recently erected at Hillside Clunch Pit were rather unsightly and the authority concerned was to be asked to make them of more consistent height. Mr J. J. Brown reported High Street footpath need of attention and Mr C. B. Bullen proposed that the Council write again to the planning authorities regarding future plan for the parish.

June 1873 — Cambridge Board of Education. On Sunday afternoon a sermon was preached in this church by the Rev. 0. Fisher, Rector of Hariton and Rural Dean, and a collection made in aid of the fund which is being raised on advice of the Bishop for the purpose of maintaining a system of inspection in schools in religious knowledge. The collection was £1.3.O.

June 1923 — The monthly meeting of the Women’s Institute which was preceded by a successful jumble sale, was held in the Church School. The President, Mrs Peters was in the chair and Miss Deacon of Cambridge gave a very practical and interesting talk on home nursing. Tea followed under the supervision of Mrs W. Pearce and Mrs B. Pearce. Miss Welch guessed the correct weight of the cake which was given by Mrs Peters. Miss G. Palmer sang several charming songs, after which games were played and the meeting closed with the National Anthem.

July 1923 — A house to house collection made by Miss Palmer in aid of Addenbrookes Hospital has resulted in the substantial sum of £7.1O.0 being forwarded to the Hospital. Miss Palmer has received a grateful acknowledgement from Mr C. E. Humphry.

Sunday School Anniversary services were held at the Wesleyan Chapel and were well attended, the preacher being Mr C. C. Collins of Bedford. Special hymns were creditably rendered by the children, the soloist being Miss Ivy Miller. Mr B. Atkin presided at the organ.

The following item may be of interest to those residents who have to spend a goodly sum in keeping their property thatched. It is taken from a leaflet issued by the Board of Agriculture in October 1910 and, no doubt, prices seemed rather high then!
The leaflet says: Working single-handed, a man should complete five 'squares' in a day of ten to ten and a half hours, though the work may be done much more rapidly. With two men working, this amount would be doubled. A 'square' represents a hundred square feet. The usual cost of thatching a square amounts to 11d or 1s, while for straw ricks the amount may not be more than 8d or 9d. Hazel rods may be purchased for 2/6 to 5s per 100, according to locality with twenty-five rods in a bundle, and two bundles will usually be sufficient to complete the thatching of ten squares. The cost of labour for thatching dwelling-houses etc. generally amounts to 4/6 per square while reeds cost as much as 5s per square. On the roof of a dwelling house ten bundles or 5 cwt
of straw will be required to each square of thatch and one hundred of these bundles will cost approximately 1O5s. When thatching is carried out in a thoroughly expert and experienced manner, the roof should remain quite watertight for about thirty years or for forty years if reeds be employed. If however, the work be done in an indifferent manner,it may not last more than ten years.


N.B. 3 feet = 36 inches (1 yard) 1 metre = 39 inches
1 hundredweight (cwt) = 1 ton = 1 metric tonnes
d = penny s = shilling
12d = ls = 5 new pence
20s = £1

 

This page was added by Derek Skipper on 24/10/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.